Sunday, February 04, 2007

Act One, Under Wraps

A long rehearsal this afternoon. A number of cast members were sick, and I've seen far better days myself; but we pressed onwards, and managed to get through the entirety of Act One -- twice! I'm impressed by how quickly the cast has internalized blocking, especially in some scenes which were never very specific to begin with. A few gaps remain, but then we've blocked a bit of Act Two, also, so it kind of balances out. It's a nice benchmark.

The cast is becoming more comfortable physically, and the language also feels more natural. Status is generally clear, although I think bigger choices could reinforce it more often. I'd like to keep reinforcing these things, but I also want to have time to dive deeper into the language and into characterization -- to make the rhythms, movements, and images translate into profound character moments for everyone.

Luckily, we do have time -- over two months, still. But I know it will fly by.

No comments: